Uefa suspend Champions League until further notice

POLAND - 2020/03/23: In this photo illustration the UEFA Champions League logo seen displayed on a smartphone.

Uefa, football’s European governing body, has moved to put all competitions under its auspices on hold amid the ongoing shutdown caused by the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Following a meeting today (Wednesday) by video conference of the 55 Uefa member associations, Uefa announced this afternoon that all Uefa Champions League and Europa League matches from the current campaign have been suspended “until further notice”.

The rescheduled June play-off matches for the 2020 European Championship – a tournament already moved to the summer of 2021 – have been postponed. The play-offs involve 16 different European national sides.

Qualifying matches for the Women’s Euro 2021 have also been postponed, along with the men’s centralised international friendly fixtures.

May’s Champions League, Europa League and Women’s Champions League finals, originally scheduled for May, had already been postponed.

Aleksander Ceferin, the Uefa president, said last week that the season could be lost if play did not recommence by the end of June.

He told Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper: “There is a plan A, B and C. The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

“There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs.”

Powered by Blogger.