Morata returns to Juve on loan, Suarez on a move to Atletico Madrid

New Juventus New signing Alvaro Morata with Pavel Nedved at Juventus headquarters on September 22, 2020 in Turin, Italy.

Spanish striker Alvaro Morata on Tuesday returned to Juventus on loan from Atletico Madrid, the Turin club announced.

The much-traveled Morata, who is 27, played for Juventus from 2014-2016, scoring 27 goals in 93 appearances.

He graduated through the youth system at Real Madrid and had two stints at the club either side of his first spell at Juventus. He also had a spell at Chelsea before joining Atletico, initially on loan.



He has joined Juventus on a season-long loan, which will cost 10 million euros (11.7 million dollars), the club said.

"He will be part of this year's team, with an option for a one-year extension to the loan, plus an option to buy," said Juventus on their website, adding that the transfer fee would be 45 million euros, in three annual payments of 15 million euros, while a loan extension would cost 10 million euros at the end of which Juventus would have another option to buy, for 35 million euros.

"There's nothing more exciting than a homecoming and the return of Alvaro Morata to Turin is a beautiful one at that!" said Juventus.

After Gonzalo Higuain left for Miami last week, Juve's new coach, Andrea Pirlo, needed a solid center-forward. The club was linked to Barcelona's Luis Suarez and Roma's Edin Dzeko but Morata, who played with Pirlo in his first spell at club, has arrived instead.

Spanish media immediately speculated that Morata's departure could clear the way for Atletico to recruit Suarez.

On a reduced salary, the 33-year-old Uruguayan striker agreed terms after his move to Juventus fell through due to passport issues. Italian prosecutors said on Tuesday they had evidence that the language exam taken by Suarez to obtain Italian citizenship ahead of a possible move to Juventus was rigged.

According to Goal.com, Suarez is closing in on a move to Atletico Madrid after a breakthrough made in talks with Barcelona on Tuesday.

Goal said their sources have confirmed that an agreement was reached after discussions between Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu and Suarez's team.

"Suarez is not wanted at Barca and the Catalans were happy to release him for free, providing he did not join certain other top clubs," BBC Sport reported.

In his six seasons as a Barca player, Suarez scored 198 goals and leaves as the club's third all-time top scorer, behind only Lionel Messi and Cesar.

However, he has had a controversial career including being banned for four months for biting Italy defender Georgio Chiellini at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. 

Suarez, twice previously banned for biting, was under investigation by FIFA for the incident in the group clash and faced another lengthy suspension.

He also bit an opponent while playing for his former clubs Ajax Amsterdam in 2010 and Liverpool in 2013, which were punished with seven and 10-match bans respectively.
Powered by Blogger.